Tonsillectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the tonsils and thermal welding is a technique to improve the post tonsillectomy results. I had this procedure done 1 week ago after I had read about it (it’s worth doing it). In addition, I had the Turbinate Reduction procedure done in my nose to improve air flow because my nose was blocked. Now I can fully breathe and ingest cold drinks – Achievement unlocked! +200XP
Why I had to undergo a tonsillectomy procedure?
- Frequent sore throats
- 7+ bout of infections requiring antibiotics administration in one year
- Colds after colds – When one cold is on its track to end, another one would start just after
- Antibiotic resistance
- Unable to have cold drinks
Does thermal welding hurt?
- Thermal welding does not hurt. The throat hurts after the procedure but it is not like the horrible and scary tonsillectomy stories written online. I have been able to swallow food and my uvulva did not grow bigger!
- You will be on pain killers like soluble brufen, paracetamol, low doses of cortisone to accelerate the healing procedure
- There will be some discomfort but it is acceptable
- I had pizza, panninis, fried rice 🙂
What is it like after the procedure?
- Drowsiness. You need to be accompanied by someone. My procedure started at 9a.m and I left the clinic at 2pm (no drowsiness after that)
- I was fed Yogurt at the clinic and I ate litchis after home
- The following day I ate pannini and pizza 🙂
How much time does it take to heal?
- Around two weeks I guess! I have not worked out since my procedure and I do not currently feel like working out at the moment. My taste buds are not working as they should since some foods do not have the taste that I had been expecting but it is acceptable.
Will I be able to go to work after 2 weeks?
After how long can I resume scuba diving?
- I will try after two weeks
I do not regret having done this procedure as my tonsils were interfering with my daily activities. If you are an adult and are afraid of this procedure, watch all the tonsillectomy videos from youtube and condition yourself psychologically as I did – I conditioned myself to expect the worse and it turned out to be far better than that!