I decided to install Fedora on my Macbook Pro 15.4 ” (Early 2011). I followed the steps below (later explained in details) :
- Resize Hard Disk’s Partition
- Install rEFIt
- Customize Linux Partition
- Install Fedora
Resize Hard Disk’s Partition
Please back up all your data before executing the steps mentioned
To resize your partition, launch Disk Utility
Choose your hard disk (in my case 200.05 GB FUJITSU) and click on Partition Tab. Click on the highlighted area (shown below) and move upwards to shrink.
Next click on the “+” icon to create your partition. Leave the file system as HFS and click on Apply.
At this stage, OSX will shrink your current partition and this will take around 45 minutes. Time to grab a cup of coffee. After shrinking is complete, install rEFI (steps below)
- rEFIt (formerly known as rEFI) is a boot loader, enabling multiple boot. Grab it and install it from http://refit.sourceforge.net/
- Insert your Fedora DVD and reboot
- You should now be asked which OS you want to boot
- Select Fedora Live and press enter
Customize Linux Partition
When prompted with partitioning options, select “I will configure partitioning”
You remember the space you allocated to your new partition when shrinking your default partition? This will show up. Time to play with it!
Click on the partition which you created previously (while shrinking default OSX partition). In my case it is the 77.91GiB. Click on the “-” (minus) button to remove it and you will be prompted with the following message:
DO NOT TICK THE CHECKBOX!! IF YOU TICK THE CHECKBOX AND CLICK ON DELETE THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR OSX PARTITION.
Click the delete button and you’ll notice more free space is available. We need to remove the partition because it is a HFS file system. In addition with an EFI boot loader, different mount points need to be set in order for linux to boot correctly. At this stage, click on “Click here to create them automatically”
This is how the layout will look after you clicked on the underlined blue text:
You can tweak/adjust your size(s) accordingly. I have allocated more space to my root mount point partition as I have planned to install more apps.
Apply the changes by clicking on “Done” at the top left corner and install fedora. Installation will kick in and will take around 45 minutes. Reboot!
- If you reboot and you don’t see EFI boot loader. Reboot and keep holding the ‘option’ key. You will be asked whether you want to boot OSX or Fedora. You will choose OSX if you want to use the latter.
- By default GRUB will show up after rebooting. The only option that will work is ‘Fedora 22’. If no choice is made, GRUB will boot fedora 22. Forget about the rescue/osx choices displayed by GRUB. If you want to boot OSX, refer to my above point.
I successfully dual booted Fedora 22 and OSX Yosemite!
Why did I install Linux on my mac? Because OSX made me lazy. I still switch to OSX whenever I need to process photos/videos but I boot into Fedora for geek stuff.